The Early Entry BS/BA in Mathematics to MS in Mathematical Sciences is for mathematics majors who are interested in pursuing an MS in Mathematic Sciences after graduation. It is intended as a fast path for completing a master’s degree following completion of an undergraduate degree. Students who are accepted into the program can complete both their undergraduate degree and the MS in about 5 years.
The accelerated program allows students to jump start their careers as professionals and potentially for doctoral study. It makes graduate education more accessible and affordable, as well as makes students more employable with an advanced degree.
The BS/BA in Mathematics is 120 credits. The MS in Mathematics is 36 credits. In this program, students are allowed to double count 12 credits of graduate courses. These 12 credits satisfy upper level credits for the undergraduate degree, as well as satisfy course requirements of the MS.
How to Apply
Students are strongly encouraged to apply to the Early Entry BS/BA to MS program before the end of their junior year to help ensure that they have the full subsequent year to begin taking appropriate courses for graduate credit, lessening the course load they will need to carry in their fifth year.
- Undergraduate students may apply and be accepted any time after completing 75 hours or more of undergraduate coursework. However, at least 90 hours of undergraduate coursework must have been completed by the time the first graduate MS Mathematics course is taken.
- All applicants must have at least a 3.2 overall GPA and at least a 3.5 major GPA at UA Little Rock in order to be considered. Students who have transferred to our program can participate in the Accelerated BS/BA to MS Program provided their relevant transfer coursework (i.e., courses taken at other institutions that are being used to meet our BS/BA degree requirements) also meets the 3.2 and 3.5 minimum major GPA criteria. The GRE requirement for the MS program is waived for students with an overall GPA of 3.5 or higher. Students with an overall GPA between 3.2 and 3.5 may apply using the GRE option.
- All applicants must complete an application for and be accepted into the MS in mathematics program and the UA Little Rock Graduate School.
- All applicants must complete an Early Entry Program form and be approved for admission by the MS Mathematics graduate coordinator. The MS Mathematics Graduate Coordinator’s decision is final and cannot be appealed. The Early Entry form must be approved by the MS Mathematics Graduate Coordinator before the student begins graduate coursework. Failure to obtain prior approval negates the ability to “double count” courses.
- If, at the end of the student’s undergraduate degree, an Early Entry student has failed to meet the Graduate School admission requirement of a 2.7 overall undergraduate GPA, the student will be dismissed from the MS program.
Acceptance into the Early Entry BS/BA to MS program indicates a commitment by the student to pursue the MS after the completion of the BS/BA in mathematics.
A completed application consists of:
- Completed graduate application for the UA Little Rock Graduate School
- Completed Early Entry GC Program Form
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a university faculty member in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics (letters are to be submitted directly by faculty)
- Portfolio of work in mathematics courses (optional)
Submit your application to the Early Entry BS/BA to MS Program Coordinator: Dr. Annie Childers, Assistant Professor firstname.lastname@example.org.