The Supplier Invoice Request (SInvR) Rule is adopted to promote operational efficiency and mitigate institutional risk.
Supplier Invoice Request (SInvR) is a stand-alone Workday business process, completely separate from purchase orders, contracts, reporting, or budget planning, that replaces what was previously known as Payment Only, Direct Payment, or Invoice Attached Purchase Orders.
The following guideline for appropriate usage of SinvR transactions:
The SInvR process should be limited to only those transactions where there is no other means of purchasing available. If you are unsure if your spend fits this process, contact Procurement Services.
- Departments should plan ahead on spend to ensure the correct method of procurement is being used.
- Think it through, just because the process is available does not confirm compliance or best practice, and there may be implications for the university.
- Before using SInvR consider using a P-card to complete the transaction.
- Lack of planning does not justify a SInvR transaction.
- All spend must be in compliance with State of Arkansas procurement/bidding laws and policy:
- All purchases, regardless of the source of funds, are subject to regulations and procedures as stipulated in Arkansas statutes.
- Procurement Services is the sole purchasing authority for the university.
- Only purchases authorized by this authority are legal obligations of the university.
- Continued inappropriate purchases may result in disciplinary action.
Exception-Not the Rule
The SInvR process is the exception, not the rule, and should be limited to only those transactions as allowed or where there is no other means of purchasing available.
Purchases completed by this method may subject the university to unnecessary liabilities and risks.
- When spend is not tied to a purchase order or contract the university terms and conditions may not prevail.
- SInvR spend may expose the university to fraudulent purchases.
Some circumstances may arise that call for the use of a SInvR. Please note that all Workday SInvRs must include an internal comment/justification and may be returned if omitted. Examples of those circumstances are:
- Direct payments which do not require a purchase order
- Copier overages
- Annual institutional membership fees
- Guest lecturers, performers, or speakers
- Utility Payments
- Grant/contractor/contingent worker payments if invoice is received
- Urgent situations are allowable for services only.
- When time or circumstances do not permit prior approval, by Procurement, an email should be sent at the earliest practical time.
- Spend thresholds must be followed and, if needed, emergency procurement procedures must be followed.
The SInvR process should not be used to circumvent State, Federal, UA System, or University policies.
- Repeated regular purchases should not be completed on SInvR.
- Examples: monthly subscription fee, pest control service, Data plan
- Goods or commodities should not be purchased without written prior approval from Procurement Services.
- Do not create a SInvR for goods or services on an established supplier contract without prior written approval from Procurement Services.
- If a supplier contract exists and the department has approval, a SInvR may be used and the supplier contract number listed in the additional information or header memo.
- The initiator must complete the SInvR in Workday using the “Create Supplier Invoice Request” task. A quick reference guide can be located in the Workday Learning Resource.
- All supporting documentation, including written approvals, justifications, W-9 for contingent workers, and the invoice must be attached to the SInvR. If the documentation is missing the request may be sent back.
- Once the Supplier Invoice Request is submitted, it is routed for approval. The approver(s) will be determined by the selections made in the request.
- Reviewers and approvers should follow these guidelines to help streamline the process.
- Note that once the SInvR is submitted the worktags cannot be changed. Check all grants (grants may need to be opened) and worktags before submitting.
- A Supplier Invoice is created upon approval of the Supplier Invoice Request.
- The requester can view completion status of the Supplier Invoice Request by searching and selecting ‘My Supplier Invoice Requests’ from the search bar.