Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Arif Alagoz

For many students, pursuing higher education marks a new chapter of not only professional and academic growth, but self-discovery as well. As a Ph.D. student at UALR, Dr. Arif Alagoz had that kind of formative experience. Reflecting on his time at UALR, Dr. Alagoz states that “UALR is a cornerstone in my life. Throughout my Ph.D. study, I walked through the path of researcher and teacher, also I met wonderful people who inspired me in many ways.” As an Applied Science student, he not only gained expertise in the fields of nanostructure fabrication and modeling, but he was also awarded the Department of Mathematics’ Outstanding Teaching by a Graduate Student award for 2013.

Such achievements never come easy, but Dr. Alagoz’s focus and dedication to his work made his academic career successful. He states that “Every failure in my research was another reason to find a better way to solve the problem, so I learned to be persistent.” Dr. Alagoz graduated from UALR in the spring of 2013 with his Ph.D. Now back home in Turkey, he has continued to pursue professional excellence. He is currently employed as a senior researcher at TUBITAK Marmara Research Center, the top national research center in Turkey. He tells us that, in his brief time there, he has been involved in several projects related to solar energy technology.

Dr. Alagoz carries his time at UALR with him, asserting that “I am still missing my friends, colleagues at UALR, and great student activities.” We know that in Istanbul, he will continue to build the legacy of hard work and success that he left at UALR.

Alumnus Bio:

Dr. Arif Sinan Alagoz graduated from UALR in 2013 with a Ph.D. in Applied Science. Previously, he earned an MS in 2007 and a BS in 2004, both from the Middle East Technical University of Ankara, Turkey. He currently works as a senior researcher under Materials Institution, Photonics Technology Group, at TUBITAK Marmara Research Center. Outside of work, his interests include camping, trekking, fishing, and ice skating.

Posted in: Alumni Spotlight