Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Haider Raad Khaleel

For Dr. Haider Raad Khaleel, journeying through the UALR graduate school fulfilled one of his greatest ambitions. He tells us that “holding the Ph.D. diploma was my ultimate dream and the first on my to-do list 15 years ago! I still have that list… My will to learn and strive to better myself has brought me to where I am today. I planned, planned, and planned some more. I agree with who had said ‘If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.’ And believe me, when you have grasped the fruit of your labor with both hands, it is very much worth all your efforts.”

But Dr. Khaleel also insists that this determination made up just one factor in his success; love for his studies proved invaluable throughout his education.

“Hard work alone was by all means not enough to complete this journey. Passion is what got me through it all…I was in a deep love with my research, so much that I felt like I was entering a different dimension every day. More and more, my work became an enjoyment to me, and less of an obligation.”

While the daily work of graduate studies can sometimes feel like drudgery, Dr. Khaleel’s positive perspective and dedication allowed his work to shape his future.

“The experience I had with experimental research is wonderful. Thankfully all my work was published in highly ranked journals and conferences. In those little trips of knowledge, I learned many skills, some of which apply to my daily life; the skill of making professional relations, of a neat presentation, of being informative and prompt.”

Khaleel also insists that this determination made up just one factor in his success; love for his studies proved invaluable throughout his education.

Like many of our graduate students, Dr. Khaleel worked as a Teaching Assistant while completing his studies at UALR. His time as a teacher led him to realize personal and professional strengths.

“Being a teaching support and later an instructor was the ultimate experience. I soon discovered that my strongest quality in being a teacher was my patience and love for transferring the information I have to the students as clearly as possible. Taking my time with each and every one of them gave me a very pleasant and pleased feeling that was worth my extra time.”

Though Dr. Khaleel successfully earned a Master of Science and a Doctoral degree at UALR, and now teaches elsewhere as a tenure-track professor, he hopes to always engage in a life of learning.

“I am thirsty for new knowledge and will always be looking to expand my horizons no matter what becomes of me. The experience I had in these past few years at UALR will by no doubt last me a lifetime, and I know it is the start of my wild eruption to come.”

Alumnus Bio:

Haider Raad Khaleel received his Ph.D. in Systems Engineering, Telecommunication option, in 2012, and his M.S. in Applied Science in 2011, both from UALR; in addition, he earned an M.S. degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from New York Institute of Technology in 2006 (highest honors). He was a Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant in the Department of Systems Engineering at UALR between 2008 and 2012.

Dr. Khaleel has published 2 book chapters, and over 40 peer reviewed journal and conference papers on research fields of his interest, which include: flexible and wearable antennas; antennas for Telemedicine and Wireless Body Area Networks, implantable antennas, Metamaterials, Electromagnetic Bandgap (EBG) structures, Artificial Magnetic Conductors (AMC), antennas for MIMO systems, and Global Positioning Systems. He is currently authoring a book on flexible and wearable wireless systems.

Dr. Khaleel is also the recipient of the first place award of the Institute of Engineering and Technology 2012 Present Around the World competition, UALR’s Outstanding Teaching Support Award, and AAMI/TEAMS Academic Excellence Award in 2012. Dr. Khaleel is currently a tenure-track professor in the Department of Engineering Science at California State University, Sonoma.

Posted in: Alumni Spotlight