UA Little Rock is not qualified to provide legal and/or tax advice. For tax advice on your specific situation, contact a tax professional. For additional information regarding the education tax credits, please refer to the Other Resources section below.
1098-T Tuition Statements are for the previous calendar year, January 1, 2022, through December 31, 2022, and will be available no later than January 31, 2023. UA Little Rock cannot provide the 1098-T Tuition Statements to anyone other than the student. Students can print out the form and provide it to parents or others who may be eligible to claim them as dependents.
Exceptions: Statements Are Not Furnished in These Situations
- Courses for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is otherwise enrolled in a degree program;
- Nonresident alien students; unless requested by the student;
- Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarship; and
- Students for whom you do not maintain a separate financial account and whose qualified tuition and related expenses are covered by a formal billing arrangement between an institution and the student’s employer or a governmental entity, such as the Department of Veterans Affairs or the Department of Defense.
Items Reported on the 1098-T
The items below are generally reported on the 1098-T. See the next section for exceptions
- Paid tuition
- Paid mandatory student fees
- Paid course/lab fees
- Payments received (Box 1) will only show the amount up to the eligible amount of charges billed.
Items Not Reported on the 1098-T
Payments to the items below are NOT reported on the 1098-T. Unless noted otherwise, the IRS does not generally allow you to claim these items when calculating your allowable educational expenses and payments.
- Room and board expenses
- Fines (i.e., parking, library, late fees)
- Tuition and fees for non-credit courses
- Books – Although book charges and payments can be tax-deductible, they are not considered a qualified related expense by UA Little Rock. Keep invoices and receipts of those transactions in your own tax records.
Items Reported as Prior-Year Adjustments
Since UA Little Rock changed our 1098-T reporting method from billable items (Box 2) to paid items (Box 1), the 2018 1098-T Tuition Statement WILL NOT contain amounts in the prior-year adjustment boxes, except for very rare situations.
- Items that are reversed will appear in the applicable prior-year boxes on the 1098-T (boxes 4 or 6).
- Items that are re-assessed will appear in the applicable reporting-year boxes on the 1098-T (boxes 1 or 5).
- Items that are revised (reversed and re-assessed) will appear in the applicable prior-year AND reporting-year boxes respectively on the 1098-T. For tuition and fees, that’s boxes 1 and 4, and for scholarships and grants, that’s boxes 5 and 6.
Directions for Viewing and Printing Your 1098-T through BOSS
- Log into BOSS
- Click on Student Services
- Click on Student Records
- Click on Tax Notification
- Enter the Tax Year and click Submit
- Print the 1098-T