Advising FAQs

Below are some commonly asked questions divided by category to help you with advising and registration. If you have any additional questions, contact your adviser directly.

Center for Student and Career Services Information

What are the hours of operation?

The Center for Student and Career Services is open from 8 am to 5 pm. You can call the office at 501-916-3009 during these times.

When is the School of Business Computer Lab open?

Computer Lab

Fall and Spring Semesters

Monday-Thursday, 8 am – 7 pm

Friday, 8 am – 3 pm

Saturday, Sunday, CLOSED

Summer Semester

Monday-Thursday, 8 am – 7 pm

Friday, 8 am – 3 pm

Saturday, Sunday, CLOSED

The lab is closed when classes are not in session.

Collaboration Room

To reserve the Collaboration Room, email Nathan Duncan at

Advising Information

When do I need to be advised?

UALR School of Business students who are new to UALR should schedule an appointment with their assigned adviser once admitted to UALR. Our advisers are assigned to each major within the School of Business. Students are required to see an adviser before registration can take place. For current students, advising should be done in late September to early October for spring registration and in late March to April for summer and fall registration.

Why do I need to be advised?

As an integral part of teaching and learning at UALR, advising is a student-centered, collaborative process designed to engage students in educational planning to promote academic, personal, and professional development, while considering diverse interests, abilities, and goals. Personalized advising conversations are intentional and assist students in learning to assess their competencies, discover their passions, and clarify their academic paths toward graduation. Academic advising processes assist in clarifying and reinforcing optimum course sequences to plan degree completion on a full-time or part-time basis.

How do I pick a major in the School of Business to declare?

Students unsure about School of Business majors can explore their options on our website. Students are welcome to meet with advisers to ask questions about different majors.

Which classes fulfill an elective requirement?

In each of the School of Business degrees, electives are part of the graduation requirements. There are 3 types of electives for School of Business degrees: unrestricted, upper-level, and major electives. Unrestricted electives are courses taken from a variety of departments at UALR. Courses in the unrestricted electives category may be 1000-4000 level courses. Upper-level electives are available in a variety of departments and must be at the 3000-4000 level. Major electives are those within a defined major and are typically chosen from a list of several options.

How do I calculate my GPA?

In order to determine a grade point average (GPA), a student will need to calculate the grade points for each course by multiplying the number of points the grade is worth by the number of credit hours the course carries. Thus, an “A” letter grade (worth four (4) points) in a three-credit hour course is worth 12 points, and a “B” letter grade (worth three (3) points) in the same course is worth nine points.

The GPA is determined by adding the total point values for all courses and dividing the total point values by the total number of credit hours attempted during the same period of time (see table below).

Developmental courses are not included in the computation of cumulative grade point averages but are calculated in the semester GPA.

NOTE: You can also use the GPA Calculator on the UALR website.

How many hours are considered full or part time?

A student enrolled in twelve (12) credit hours during the fall or spring term or six (6) credit hours during a summer term is considered a full-time student. Eighteen (18) hours is the maximum load a student may carry during a regular semester. Any student who wishes to take more than 18 hours must request permission from the Department Chair of their major prior to registration. Students wanting to major than the maximum credit hours for a particular semester should first directly contact their adviser.

Who needs to complete a First Year Colloquium course?

Beginning in the Fall of 2011, all first-time entering, degree-seeking students must enroll in a First Year Colloquium course within the first 12 hours of coursework. Examples of this course are BSAD 1100: Business Perspectives, PEAW 1300: First Year Experience, or another approved First Year Colloquium course (i.e. courses for scholarship programs or First Year Experience courses with other majors at UALR). Students who are transferring to UALR with 12 or more transferable hours will not need to complete a First Year Colloquium course.

What is the core curriculum at UALR?

Beginning Spring 2015, UALR will adopt a 35-hour core curriculum comprised of two parts, the University Standard Core (21 hours) and the School Core (14 hours). Pay attention to the notes for business students on the Office of Academic Advising website. For a printable list, click here.

Students who are working on a catalog term prior to Spring 2015 will need to see the core curriculum they were following before the new core was announced. For questions about core courses, contact your adviser.

Registration Information

When can I register for classes?

For new and re-admitted students, you must be formally admitted to UALR before you can register. Registration is based on your classification including all hours earned. For current students, registration is permitted according to your earned hours. You can review each term’s Registration Guide online.

Why am I receiving a Campus Restriction error?

UA Little Rock has several locations where you can take courses. We also have an Online Only campus option for those wanting to major in the following degree programs:

You will receive a Campus Restriction error when you try to register for Online Only courses (usually marked by section numbers 9UO, 9U1,  9U2, etc) if you are a student on another campus. In contrast, if you are a main campus student, you must look for online courses on the Main or Little Rock campus (usually marked with a 990, 991, or 992 section number). For further questions, contact a School of Business advisor.

How do I register for classes?

You can learn how to register using the Office of Records and Registration website. This office has created a Registration Tutorial Video for you to use as well as a Registration Errors Tutorial Video. These will show you step by step instructions on how to register.

Still confused? Contact your adviser directly!

What are online and hybrid courses?

Online courses are designed to give students the opportunity for quality education using a self-directed environment. The term “hybrid” describes courses that are a combination of online and on-campus. In other words, you will be required to come to campus on a designated day for your course and you will complete the remaining course work online.

Students taking online and hybrid courses should:

  • Maintain good study and time management habits.
  • Employ self-discipline and attention to detail.
  • Read your course syllabus very closely.
  • Watch out for assignment due dates and exam dates.
  • Log in to the online course as often as you would attend a traditional course.
  • Utilize a functional knowledge of personal computers and reliable internet access.

You can access your online or hybrid courses using Blackboard, which you can reach through your MyUALR account. For questions about online courses, contact your professor or see the Blackboard Student Support website.

How do I know which courses I need to complete for my degree?

Check your degree checklist, according to your catalog term. You can view each School of Business Degree Checklist online. If your Degree Checklist isn’t listed on this site, check the Degree Checklists Archive page.

What is BOSS and how do I activate my BOSS account?

BOSS is a web resource for advising, registration, financial aid, and accessing your grades.  Once you login to myUALR, you can access BOSS directly with the BOSS link. If you forget your BOSS password, click the “Forgot PIN” link and then you’ll be able to enter your T-Number as well as other PIN reset questions.

When and where should I drop a course?

You may add or drop classes online each semester by the deadline dates listed in the Academic Calendar. After the initial deadline for drop/add, you may no longer add classes and cannot drop classes online. However, to drop or withdraw by the final semester deadline, fill out and submit the Drop/Withdrawal Form to the Office of Records and Registration in the Student Services Center, Room 218. You can also mail or fax the form to this office. Review their website to review further information on this topic.

What are pre and corequisites?

A prerequisite is a course that must be satisfactorily completed before you may register into the next level course. It is your responsibility to look up all the course descriptions in the Academic Catalog to find those courses that do have prerequisites and/or corequisites (courses that are to be taken at the same time). If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite, you will not be able to register for the course until the semester is complete and the grade for the prerequisite is posted in BOSS.  You can view your grades in BOSS by clicking on the Student Services tab, then the Student Records tab, and finally click on Midterm Grades or Final Grades.

On my transcript, what do the grades NC, W, I and CR mean?

Successful completion of a course is defined as a passing grade. Grades of W (withdrawal), F (failing), NC (no credit) or I (incomplete) are not considered successful completion. CR (credit) as a grade means that the student is granted the credit hours for the course but no grade and the course is not calculated in his or her grade point average. For more information, review the UALR Grade Reporting Policy.

How do I waitlist for a course?

Procedures and rules for waitlisting are available at the following site.

Graduation Information

What are the steps I need to take for graduation?

Students who are preparing to graduate can contact Lynnette Dixon at for further information.