Office Location: ETAS 125
Office Phone: 501-301-4695
Baillie Group Website: https://ualr.edu/chemistry/baillie-group/
Introductory chemistry courses.
Chemistry Education Research: How people learn is tied to so many factors before you arrive on campus, and many that are present in the classrooms. I am curious how faculty training (professional development), in-class teaching strategies, and student background all play a role in student success. Learn more at our research group website!
UA-Little Rock Appointments
- Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry
- Director, STRIVE Program, STEM Education Center
- Director, Mobile Institute on Scientific Teaching (MoSI) Workshop at UA Little Rock
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Chemical Biology, EPFL (Lausanne, Switzerland)
- PhD in Organic/Medicinal Chemistry, Emory University (Atlanta, Georgia)
- BS in Chemistry, Bucknell University (Lewisburg, Pennsylvania)
Awards and Honors
- Student Faculty Appreciation Award 2023 – We heart our faculty.
- Faculty excellence award – Rising Star. DC STEM College winner. University award winner.
- Student Faculty Appreciation Award 2020 – We heart our faculty.
- Leader, Mobile Summer Institute on Scientific Teaching. Responsible for leading a week long workshop to build institutional capacity for implementing evidence-based teaching practices in college courses.
- National Science Foundation Fellowship, 2007 – 2008: Emory Graduate Fellowship Recipient. One-year graduate student training fellowship to participate in Emory’s PRISM teaching program
- Emory University, Chemistry Department Award, 2006: Award Recipient. Outstanding General Chemistry Teaching Assistant
- Six Sigma Green Belt, 2004: Certified. General Electric accreditation; trained to implement statistical system analysis techniques to ensure measurable specifications that are critical to quality
- Terrell, A. M., Baillie, M., Safran, C., Parthasarathy, S., Krasnomowitz, J. Storyboarding: a Tool to Assess Student Preparation of Introductory Integrated Biology and General Chemistry Laboratories. Poster presented by A. Terrell at the meeting of QUBES: Making Meaning through Modeling Workshop, East Lansing, MI. July 2017.
- Audette, D. S., Martin, B. J., Terrell, A. M., Hilsenbeck-Fajardo, J. L., Baillie, M. T., Hlousek-Radojcic, A. Facilitating intellectual coaching skills in student mentors. Paper presented by D. Audette at the meeting of Collaborative Interventions, Philadelphia, PA. February 2016.
- Miller, E. J.; Mays, S. G.; Baillie, M. T.; Howard, R. B.; Arrendale, R. F.; Pruett, S.; Culver, D. G.; Evers, T. G.; Natchus, M. G.; Petros, J. A.; Liotta, D. C. Discovery of a Fluorinated Enigmol Analog with Enhanced in Vivo Pharmacokinetic and Anti-Tumor Properties. ACS Med. Chem. Lett. 2016, 7(5), 537-542.
- Liotta, D. C.; Baillie, M. T.; Holt, J. J.; Galinski, M. R.; Natchus, M.; Miller, E. J. Sphingosine analogs composition, and methods related thereto. PCT/US2012/057448; WO2013/049280; 2012.
- Bushnev, A. S.; Baillie, M. T.; Holt, J. J.; Menaldino, D. S.; Merrill, A. H. Jr.; Liotta, D. C. An Efficient Asymmetric Synthesis of Enigmols (1-Deoxy-5-hydroxysphingoid Bases), An Important Class of Bioactive Lipid Modulators. Arch. Org. Chem. 2010, viii, 263-277.