MSIQ Graduate Saichand Mattapally Accepts Data Engineer Position with Amazon

Saichand Mattapally, a 2016 graduate of the University of Arkansas at Little Rock Master of Science in Information Quality (MSIQ), is joining Amazon as a Data Engineer. Amazon provides the world’s largest online retail service. Amazon also provides a number of other services such as audio and video streaming and cloud computing services. By revenue, Amazon is the largest internet company in the world. In 2017, after his graduation from the MISQ program, Saichand began work as a Big Data engineer at Inuvo, an ad-tech company. At Inuvo, Saichand built Big Data pipelines using technologies such as Spark and Hive.

In his new Data Engineer position at Amazon, Sai will be working in an R&D team helping fulfillment centers function smoothly. In this role he will be building a data warehouse designed to support business intelligence insights. He will be working with cutting edge technologies like AWS, Redshift, and other Big Data technologies.

Sai is orginally from Warangal, India, where he completed his undergradudate degree from the SR Engineering College with a major in Electronics and Communication. According to Sai, “My sister Shruthi Sankineni (MSIQ 2015) first told me about the UA Little Rock Information Quality Graduate Program she was attending. At the time, I was doing my research on different data-related academic programs and found out the MSIQ program had the right course work, so I decided to enroll. The courses, faculty, and the on-campus scholarship opportunities were the driving factors for my decision to enroll. I am now very interested in the field of information quality because of the knowledge and skills I acquired through the program. My favorite courses were Entity Resolution and the Social Computing. Now I get to apply this knowledge and these skills in many ways in my work, especially Data Governance and Entity Resolution.”

Saichand futher commented “I would like to thank my parents for encouraging me and supporting me to get my master’s degree. Also a big thanks to my sister Shruthi for introducing me to MSIQ program, and without whom, I wouldn’t have been able to come to the U.S.  Special thanks to Brian Keltch, Deputy CIO and Director of Enterprise and Application Development for the UA Little Rock IT services, for being my mentor and giving me appropriate career direction. I would also like to thank my friends and classmates Gowthami, Adithya, Chakri, Dharani, Saikiran, Bhanu, and Ajay for their support at all times.”

His advice for other students “Just try to get most of every course in the program, and you will definitely land a good job!” In fact, Sai is the second MSIQ graduate to join Amazon as a Data Engineer. Abhishek Kumar (MSIQ 2015) accepted a similar position with Amazon in fall 2018.

Established in 2006 by the University of Arkansas at Little Rock Donaghey College of Engineering and Information Technology (EIT) in collaboration with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Chief Data Officer and Information Quality (MIT CDOIQ) and Acxiom Corporation, the UALR Information Quality Graduate Program is dedicated to promoting state of the art curriculum in information quality education, contributing new ideas to the information quality knowledge base, and establishing information quality partnerships with the community, government, and industry.  The program’s online Master of Science in Information Quality along with the online Master of Science in Information Science are ranked by US New & World Report among the 15 Best Online Information Technology Programs in the nation.

Posted in: News