In recognition of outstanding academic advising, a University of Arkansas at Little Rock Trojan Outstanding Advising Award will be presented to a deserving advisor during the spring semester. The deserving recipient will receive a $1000 cash award.
Nominees for the Outstanding Advising Award must first be nominated by a third party. Once nominated, the advisor must submit an application packet by To nominate an outstanding advisor, please submit a letter of nomination by 5:00 p.m. Friday, February 26, 2021.
The winner of the $1,000 cash award will be announced at the UA Little Rock Staff Awards Ceremony on April 8, 2021.
Eligibility is limited to professional advisors (faculty advisors are not eligible) in a position with a rank less than Director of Student Services who have been with the university for at least one year and have not been the recipient of the award in the past three years. The selection committee will evaluate nominations on qualities and practices that distinguish the nominee as an outstanding academic advisor. Such evidence may include:
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Availability to advisees
- Knowledge of institutional, policies and procedures, campus resources and appropriate referral activity (ex: financial aid, counseling services, testing services, student accounts, etc.)
- Efforts to create a caring, helpful, and positive relationship with advisees
- Participation in and support of proactive advising to build strong relationships with advisees
- Effective monitoring of student progress toward academic and career goals, demonstrating advising as a priority activity
- Ability to engage in, promote and support developmental advising (the concept that advising is a teaching opportunity beyond course selection that may include career exploration, decision-making skills, values clarification, critical thinking, utilizing campus resources, taking personal responsibility, and understanding the processes and the value of a college education)
- Supportive of the needs of our diverse student population
- Excellent reputation among colleagues as to nominee’s advising and/or advising administration skills
Nominate an Outstanding Advisor
The letter of nomination (limited to two pages) should summarize the extent to which the nominee meets the award criteria by providing data or other descriptive materials illustrative of exemplary performance as an academic advisor.
To nominate an outstanding advisor, please submit a letter of nomination (Word or PDF file) by 5:00 p.m. Friday, February 26, 2021, using the Outstanding Advisor Nomination Form.
Outstanding Academic Advisor Award Nomination Form
Please complete the questions below to submit your candidate for nomination. Please note: You will also be required to provide a signed letter of nomination before submission (PDF format only accepted).
Nominees: Submit Application Packet Here
After nominations are received, nominees will be notified and asked to submit full application packets by Monday, March 15, 2021, by 5:00 p.m. Once submitted, application packets may be used for two years. Application packets must include the following:
Biographical data provided in the order listed below:
- Name of Nominee
- Current position (title, college, and department)
- Number of years at UA Little Rock
- Degrees held (source and date)
- Honors and Awards
- Membership in professional and honorary societies (note any offices held)
- Personal advising statement (limited to 500 words; 12 point font)
In addition to the required information, nominees may include the following:
- Letters of support from up to three people (in addition to the nominator) who can speak to the award criteria (advisees/students, colleagues, faculty, staff or administrators). The perspective or status of the author of letters of support should be clearly identified in the letter. (Please limit the letter to one page).
- Copies of nominee’s evaluation materials or anonymous student evaluations reflecting advising
- Copies of any advising related materials developed by the nominee.
Complete application packets should be no more than 15 pages (one-sided). All nomination-related materials including letters of support MUST be submitted in the Application Packet. Any materials sent separately from the application packet will not be considered.
Completed application packets (single PDF file ONLY) must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. Monday, March 15, 2021.
Upload your Application Packet
Nominees, submit your application packets using the form below:
Application Packet Submission: Trojan Outstanding Academic Advisor Award
Upload your complete nomination packet for the Trojan Outstanding Academic Advisor Award (a single PDF file) by Monday, March 4, 2019. Complete Nomination Packets should be no more than 15 pages (one-sided). All nomination-related materials including letters of support MUST be submitted in the Nomination Packet. Any materials sent separately from the nomination packet will not be considered.
The selection committee will be comprised of five members to include the following: one staff member, one student, one alumnus, one full-time faculty member, and one administrator. A previous award winner ineligible for the award due to having won in the past three years can also serve on the committee in place of a staff member if needed. Members of the selection committee may not nominate individuals for the award and should not have a conflict of interest (e.g., be an advisee or a supervisor of a nominee). Members of the committee will be appointed as follows:
- Staff Senate President appoints a staff member
- President of SGA appoints a student
- VC of Advancement appoints an alumnus
- Faculty Senate President appoints a faculty member
- Provost appoints an administrator
Questions? Email email@example.com.