You will learn the leadership and management skills and knowledge required of volunteer professionals including:
- Volunteer recruitment and retention strategies.
- Trends that impact volunteer programs.
- The principles of volunteer screening, placement, training, and supervision.
- Ways to continually improve your volunteer program.
- How to build internal support for your volunteer program.
- Techniques for developing strong staff and volunteer partnerships.
- Volunteer risk management.
About the Certified Volunteer Manager Program
The Certified Volunteer Manager (CVM) program is designed for administrators, directors, managers, and coordinators of volunteers and volunteer programs. Approximately 60 hours of time is required to meet program requirements including:
- Pre-Assignments – To prepare for the intensive workshop.
- Intensive Workshop – A four-day, three-night training held at a retreat center where participants spend time with expert instructors.
- Capstone Project Plan – Participants develop plans to improve their volunteer
- programs that incorporate what they learned at the intensive workshop.
The program design allows volunteer managers from across the country to participate.
CVM certification is recognized and supported by the DHS Office of Community Engagement and the Arkansas Volunteer Coordinators Association (AVCA).
2019 Program Details
The 2019 Certified Volunteer Manager Program is open for registration. Follow this link to complete an application.
In 1986, the CVM program was established through a ‘golden triangle coalition.’ The coalition included the volunteer, government, and business sectors. Representatives on the planning team came from United Way of Pulaski County, the Arkansas Volunteer Coordinators Association (AVCA), the DHS Division of Community Service and Nonprofit Support (DCSNS), the Arkansas Public Administration Consortium (APAC), and Beverly Enterprises. Since the first graduating class in 1987, more than 700 participants have graduated from the program.
For more information, contact APAC at firstname.lastname@example.org or (501) 569-3436.