FAQ for Transfer Students

Below are some of the frequently asked questions we get about transferring to UA Little Rock. If you have additional questions, please contact our office.

What steps should I take to transfer to UA Little Rock?

Transfer Student Services has created a transfer checklist that should provide you with the step-by-step process to transfer to UA Little Rock.

Can I transfer without an associate degree?

Yes, you can transfer to UA Little Rock without an associate’s degree. Students may apply as a transfer student when they have completed 12 or more transferable college credit hours. If a student has less than 12 hours they can apply as a freshman transfer and must meet freshman admissions standards. The Office of Transfer Student Services will evaluate transfer credits on a course by course basis to apply general education core courses towards the Core Curriculum.

What major/programs are available at UA Little Rock?

What is the application process?

Transfer students are those who have been enrolled previously in a higher institution of learning after earning a high school diploma or GED and have at least 12 transferable credit hours. A 2.00 cumulative GPA on all previous college work is required to be granted regular admission. Students with less than 12 transferable credit hours must meet freshmen admission standards (view freshmen admission standards). Follow this Quick Guide on becoming a UA Little Rock Trojan.
You will need to submit your transcripts and immunization records to the following address: UA Little Rock, Office of Admissions 2801 S. University Ave. Student Services Center Room 219 Little Rock, AR 72204. You may fax your shot records to Admissions at 501-916-3956, but your official sealed transcripts must be sent to the above address.
You will find the application deadline dates for the summer and fall semesters by visiting the Admissions website.

How do I transfer my financial aid?

If you have been receiving federal aid (Pell grants or student loans), you may be eligible to receive similar aid at UA Little Rock. Be sure to transfer your FAFSA information to UA Little Rock.
 Make sure you have filled out the FAFSA for the appropriate academic year.
 Add the UA Little Rock school code to your list of schools on your FAFSA: 001101-00. You may make changes to your FAFSA online by using your Federal Personal Identification Number (PIN) or you may call the Department of Education at 1-800-4-FED-AID.
 You may check the status of your UA Little Rock financial aid online on BOSS.
 Contact any institution which may be processing your aid for this academic year, and inform them that you will no longer be receiving aid at that institution.
 Learn about Private Scholarships.
 Learn about Transfer Student Scholarships.
 Learn about other scholarship opportunities.
 For more specific questions regarding the transfer of your financial aid please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

How do I know if my courses transfer before I apply? (TEG, ACTS, etc.)

UA Little Rock accepts credits in transfer from any institutionally or regionally accredited institution. When evaluating what transfers, know that although some of your courses will have a direct course equivalent at UA Little Rock, not all of your courses will. That does not mean, however, that it cannot be applied to satisfy core requirements at UA Little Rock.

Students transferring to UA Little Rock from another publicly supported Arkansas college or university may check the Arkansas Course Transfer System (ACTS) to ensure proper transfer of core or general education courses.

A more comprehensive guide is the UA Little Rock Transfer Credit Equivalency Guide (TEG). This guide can help determine how your courses may transfer. In addition to in-state courses the TEG lists a number of out-of-state institutions and transfer credits.

The ACTS and TEG guides do not list every institution or all the credits that UALR will accept. If students can’t find their school or transfer course(s), they may “Ask a Transfer Specialist” for an unofficial Core Evaluation.

Transfer Student Services can only evaluate the Core Curriculum (General Education) courses. To determine whether course(s) beyond core can apply to your major requirements, please contact the appropriate departmental advisor.

Are there credits that will not automatically transfer?

UA Little Rock does not automatically transfer vocational, military or technical credits from other universities. If you would like for UA Little Rock to transfer coursework of this nature then you may fill out our Request for Non-Standard Credit form.

The above form will need to be printed and signed by your departmental advisor before finally being submitted to the Office of Records and Registration for processing.

Please note: You must have officially declared your major before this form can be processed.

Undergraduate courses with grades of “C” or greater from an institutionally or regionally accredited institution will transfer to UA Little Rock. However, the UA Little Rock Transfer of D Grades Policy allows students to transfer up to six credit hours of courses with grades of “D” if a grade of “D” would be accepted for credit in the corresponding courses at UA Little Rock.

How do I know if my previous college is institutionally or regionally accredited?

The University of Arkansas at Little Rock accepts academic work in transfer from any institutionally or regionally accredited institution. Need to check whether your previous institution is accredited? Find your school by region from one of the accreditation authorities listed on the transfer credits page of the UA Little Rock Office of Records and Registration website.

Can I retake a transfer course at UA Little Rock to improve my grade point average?

No: Your GPA at your previous college does not transfer to UA Little Rock. Any course that you repeat at UA Little Rock will contribute to your UA Little Rock GPA but will not change the course grade at your previous college.

What is the core curriculum?

Commonly referred to as; “general education requirements” or the “basics,” the core curriculum helps to establish a foundation for the undergraduate academic experience and to ensure that students develop fundamental skills and a lifelong commitment and ability to learn. Students seeking a baccalaureate degree must complete 35 hours (44 hours if enrolled prior to Spring 2015) from the University’s Core Curriculum. Please note that the Core curriculum may vary by academic program (i.e. for majors within the College of Information Science & Engineering Technology and Nursing).

How do I get departmental courses reviewed?

OTSS will review all transfer credit for incoming transfer students. Students that have transfer courses that may be used for their degree area or for electives are encouraged to contact the appropriate Departmental Advisor for their major, if they would like this information prior to applying for admission. Departmental representatives must determine if they will accept transfer courses as equivalencies for their departmental courses or if they can use them to satisfy degree areas beyond core, including electives.

Where do I go if I have questions about advising?

The Office of Academic Advising has compiled a list Frequently Asked Questions using input from several different areas across UA Little Rock. Although this “FAQ” section does include most questions, if your question is not answered there, feel free to call Academic Advising at 501-916-3386 or email advising@ualr.edu.

How do I register (BOSS quick reference guide link)?

 Sign in to your BOSS account.
 Read the important dates then “Click Here to Continue”.
 Select the STUDENT SERVICES tab.
 Select the REGISTRATION link.
 Then click on ADD/DROP Classes.
 If it is your registration period, you will see a row of boxes at the bottom of the screen. Put the CRNs for the classes you have chosen in the boxes.
 Hit submit.
 You are registered for those classes. If you see a STOP sign, then you were unable to register for that class. Read the warning to see why you could not register for that class. If possible, clear up the problem and register for it again.
For more information on how to search for classes and the registration process visit the BOSS Quick Reference Guide and/or the Get Registered page.

How and when will I know if my courses transferred?

After Office of Admissions has received and scanned your transcripts and the Office of Records and Registration has articulated your transfer courses to your UA Little Rock transcript students can review their information in BOSS on their degree evaluation.
When evaluating what transfers, know that some of your courses will have a direct course equivalent at UA Little Rock (ex: ENGL 1311 – Freshmen Composition I = UALR course RHET 1311 – Composition I), but not all will. That does not mean, however, that it hasn’t transferred or that it cannot be applied to the core requirements at UA Little Rock. Some transfer courses will at first show up on the UA Little Rock transcript as either Transfer lower level elective or Transfer upper level elective. This means that a course has no direct equivalency or has not been reviewed for what UA Little Rock course it may be equivalent to. OTSS will review those courses and determine if they can be applied to the UA Little Rock core either as an equivalent course, or be used to satisfy as specific CORE area. OTSS requests the Office of Records to make those adjustments and the degree evaluation will reflect the changes.

NOTE: OTSS will only review the CORE areas. The Academic Departments will review any courses that are beyond the UA Little Rock General Education Core.

How do I read my degree evaluation in BOSS?

The unofficial student degree evaluation shows your progress in your current major or gives you the opportunity to see what requirements you have met in a different major using the What-If Analysis. If you have any questions about your unofficial student degree evaluation, please contact your academic advisor. Learn more about how to understand your degree evaluation at Unofficial Student Degree Evaluation.