Dr. Jim Vander Putten
Office: DKSN 419B
Office Phone: (501) 569-3549
Jim Vander Putten joined the Department of Educational Leadership at the University of Arkansas-Little Rock in August, 1998 and is currently an Associate Professor of Higher Education. He served as Chair of the UALR Institutional Review Board from 2000 - 2006, and coordinates the Faculty Development concentration of the UALR Higher Education Doctoral program.
Jim’s professional career experience includes the position of Coordinator of Master’s Programs and Lecturer in Education in the Center for the Study of Higher and Postsecondary Education at the University of Michigan (1996-1998). From 1990-1993, he was the Director of Student Support Services at Sonoma State University (CA), and from 1987-1990 he was the Assistant Director of Cultural Diversity Programs at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point.
He has presented research papers at conferences of the Association for Institutional Research (AIR), the American Educational Research Association (AERA) Divisions I and J, the Conference on Working-class Academics, Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE) and DHHS ORI Research on Research Integrity.
- Whitehurst, J., & Vander Putten, J. (2014). Communication between units of higher education and social networking sites. In C. Stevenson and J. Bauer (Eds.), Building Online Communities in Higher Education Institutions: Creating Collaborative Experience. Hershey, PA: IGI Global. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-4666-5178-4.ch001
- Vander Putten, J. (2014, February 28). Review of ‘Faculty Identities and the Challenge of Diversity: Reflections on Teaching in Higher Education.’ Teachers College Record. Available online: http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=17449
- Vander Putten, J. (2011, January 11). Review of ‘The Education Dissertation: A Guide for Practitioner Scholars.’ Teacher’s College Record. Available online: http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentId=16283
- Vander Putten, J. & Nolen, A. (2010, Fall). Comparing results from constant comparative and computer software methods: A reflection about qualitative data analysis. Journal of Ethnographic and Qualitative Research.
- Vander Putten, J. (2010, October 8). Review of the book Tearimg Down the Gates: Confronting the Class Divide in American Education, by P.Sacks. Education Review. Retrieved from http://nepc.colorado.edu/education-review
- Vander Putten, J. (2009). Wanted: Consistency in Social and Behavioral Science Institutional Review Board Practices. Teachers College Record, Date Published: September 14, 2009.
- Camp, A., Pearson, C., Gilleland, D., & Vander Putten, J. (2009). Women’s path into science and engineering majors: A structural equation model. Educational Research and Evaluation, 15(1), 63-77.
- Nolen, A. & Vander Putten, J. (2007). Action Research in Education: Addressing Gaps in Ethical Principles and Practices. Educational Researcher, 36 (7), 401-407.
- Thrush CR, Vander Putten J, Rapp CG, Pearson LC, Berry KS, O¹Sullivan PS. (2007, December). Content Validation of the Organizational Climate for Research Integrity (OCRI) Survey. Journal of Empirical Research on Human Research Ethics.
News Media Interviews:
- April 27, 2010 Chronicle of Higher Education article by Peter Schmidt, titled ‘Professors from the Working Class Credit Their Rise to Rock—and Agent Scully.’ <http://chronicle.com/article/Professors-From-the-Working/65267/>
- April 4, 2011 Chronicle of Higher Education article by Audrey Williams June titled ‘For New Ph.D.’s Who Must Lower Their Sights, Some Lessons From an Earlier Generation.’ http://chronicle.com/article/For-New-PhDs-Who-Must-Lower/127001/>
- Vander Putten, J. Cosmopolitan and Local Faculty Orientations: A Reanalysis of Historical Data. European Association for institutional research. University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Vander Putten, J. & Stumberger, R. College Student Social Class Stratification and Inequality: International Comparative Views. European Association for institutional research. University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Nolen, A., Vander Putten, J., & Hastings, R. Exploring the personal, familial, academic, and environmental factors that predict the college choices of students with disabilities. AERA, 2014. Vander Putten, J.
- Vander Putten, J. Graduate student social class identity: Social constructions from the poverty-class and working-class margins. AERA, 2014.
- Deconstructing social class identity: Qualitative analysis of poverty-class and working-class faculty histories. ASHE, 2013.
- Vander Putten, J. Intrusive faculty academic advising for part-time and commuter graduate students. ASHE, 2013.
- Vander Putten, J., & Nolen, A. (2012). An investigation of IRB protocol errors in the social and behavioral sciences: A document analysis. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Research Integrity Quest for Research Excellence 2011 conference. Washington, DC.
- Kuykendall, J., & Vander Putten, J. (2012). Creating a culture for graduation: Analysis of institutional dimensions based on active and collaborative learning. American Educational Research Association Conference (AERA).
- Vander Putten, J., Becks, A., & Nolen, A. (2012). College choice processes for home-schooled students: Influences, destinations and under/overmatching. American Educational Research Association Conference (AERA).
- Ellis, E., Vander Putten, J., & Nolen, A. (2011). The talented tenth revisited: Socialization and retention for black junior faculty at HBCUs. Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE), Charlotte.
- Vander Putten, J. (2011). Faculty Social Origins, Productivity, and Institutional Type: Reexamining Historical Data. American Educational Research Association conference (AERA), New Orleans.
- Charlton, C. & Vander Putten, J. (2010). Student Affairs Administrator and Faculty Perceptions of Distance Education as Preparation for Employement. Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE), Indianapolis.
- Vander Putten, J., Nolen, A. & Gilleland, D. (2010). Effects of ESL, SES and Geographic Location on College Choice, Changing Demographics and Policy. 5th annual U.S. Dept. of Education, Institute for Education Sciences Research Conference, Washington, DC.
- Boureiko, N., Vander Putten, J., & Nolen, A. (2010). Measuring change over time: Factors influencing the academic success of immigrant college students. Association for Institutional Research (AIR), Chicago.
- Finley, B., & Vander Putten, J. (2010). Effects of college health course enrollment on student interest, knowledge, and behavior. AIR, Chicago.
- Ph.D. in Higher and Postsecondary Education, University of Michigan, 1998
- M.S. in Student Affairs Administration and Counseling, Indiana University, 1986
- B.S. in Marketing Education, University of Wisconsin-Stout, 1984
- A.A. in Marketing & Sales Management, Northeast Wisconsin Technical Institute, 1980
- HIED 8311: Internet Research in Higher Education
- HIED 8330: College Teaching Problems and Issues
- HIED 8332: Curriculum Design in Higher Education
- HIED 8350: American College Student
- HIED 8399: Dissertation Seminar