Study Abroad Programs

First, decide where you want to apply. Resources include:

  • The American Bar Association’s list of Approved Foreign Study Programs;
  • The “Summer Abroad” posters in the second floor student lounge; and
  • The Law Library’s reference collection.

Determine when the school will accept your application and what deadlines apply.  Some schools have strict application deadlines.

Send appropriate letters of good standing and permission to take courses to law schools.  Use the Good Standing Verification form to provide the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs with a list of all the schools to which you will apply with the following information for each one:

  • Name of the person who should receive the letter of good standing
  • Full address of the school
  • Signed consent to release information form
  • Names, credit hours and descriptions of all of the courses you plan to take (err on the side of inclusion by listing any course you may be interested in taking)
  • Any other special information that the school requires

The Assistant Dean’s office will send the letters directly to the schools.  You will receive a copy in your student mail box.

Once accepted into the program, provide the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs with a completed Petition for Pre-Approval for Study Abroad or Visiting Another School listing all of the courses you plan to take. Err on the side of inclusion. Include any course you may be interested in taking.

Once this is completed, please contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to fill out the consortium agreement to transfer financial aid. This must be completed at least three weeks prior to the start date of the study abroad program. Call 501-916-3035 for more information. After finishing the program, arrange for an official transcript to be sent to UALR when you have finished your courses.  Fill out the necessary forms from the host institution.  Pay any bills and remove any “holds” on your account.

The Associate Dean’s office will review your transcript and award the appropriate credit.  You will be notified by letter.

These procedures do not cover financial aid. Financial aid may have different deadlines and requirements. Please contact the Financial Aid Office at 501-916-3035 for more detailed information.